If you are tired of performing the same old routine over and over, try incorporating a sandbag into your workouts to add some variety. Sandbag workouts have become increasingly popular due to their ability to provide a stronger, leaner and more athletic physique without having to step foot into a gym. They really help to condition the muscles in new and unique ways, allowing for optimal strength-training results to occur. Perform 3 sets of 8-10 repetitions for each of the following exercises at least 3 times per week as part of a full-body sandbag routine.
1.Bent-Over Sandbag Row
To emphasize and strengthen the muscles of the back.
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and knees slightly bent.
- Holding the sandbag firmly, bend at the hips with your back straight and let your arms hang down (perpendicular to the floor).
- Keeping your elbows close to your body, pull the sandbag up to your body and squeeze your shoulder blades together at the top of the movement.
- Return to the start position and then repeat. Keep your back and head straight at all times during the motion; hyperextension or flexion may cause injury.
2.Russian Twist With Sandbag
To strengthen the abdominals, obliques and lower back.
- Sit down on the floor and grip the sandbag on one side of you with your feet straight out in front of you, knees slightly bent and back straight.
- When ready, lift and move the sandbag from one side of your body to the other, making contact with the floor, and then return back to the starting position.
- Continue tapping the sandbag on either side of you, breathing out on every tap.
- Once you become more advanced, try doing the same thing keeping your feet off the floor at all times.
3.Upright Sandbag Row
Strengthens the muscles of the upper back and neck.
- Start by standing straight up with your feet shoulder-width apart and grasp the sandbag firmly in each hand.
- Lift the sandbag up to your shoulders, keeping your elbows pointing up as if you had a string attached at the elbow and someone was lifting them up.
- Slowly return back to the starting position while making sure your back stays arched and your head is straight, and then repeat.
To isolate the leg muscles, including the quadriceps, hamstrings and glute muscles.
- With your feet slightly wider than shoulder-width apart and your toes pointed out, hug the sandbag steadily and just above the waist.
- Bend your knees and lower yourself until your upper thighs are just lower then parallel with the ground, while keeping your head up and back straight.
- Maintaining your upper body in the same upright, stable position, push yourself back up to the starting position, then repeat.
- Make sure that your shoulders remain in line with your feet throughout the entire movement so as to limit the stress on the lower back.
5.Power Clean And Press
This exercise will provide a good full-body workout with special emphasis on the legs, back and shoulder muscles.
- Start by standing over the sandbag, feet shoulder-width apart.
- Bend down, keeping your back straight, and pick up the bag, then stand straight up while lifting the bag to the shoulders.
- Once you have reached the top of a squat, press the bag to the ceiling.
- Lower the bag back down to the shoulders and finish by dropping the bag back in front of you while bending the knees and maintaining a good arch in the back throughout.
Be sure to be consistent with your efforts, push with 100% effort on every single rep, and finish your workout with Six Star® Whey Protein Plus in order to get the most out of your hard work. Protein is important post-workout to help you repair and build strong, lean muscles. Good luck!